Business continuity and disaster recovery
"The only thing harder than planning for an emergency is explaining why you didn't"
It’s all about planning
Unfortunately, failures and disasters do happen. Fires, floods, thefts, power outages or just simple equipment failure can all happen to your business, and when they do, your business will suffer.
How badly you are impacted depends on what steps you took in advance to mitigate and recover from the event.
The likely impacts of a disaster
- Your staff are unable to work and may need to be stood down.
- You cannot communicate with clients and cannot provide goods and services. Clients use or approach competitors.
- Significant data loss.
- Your reputation as a stable and secure organisation is put at risk.
- Unwanted negative media attention.
The cost of a disaster to your business can be huge. Many businesses do not survive major outages or data loss. There is no excuse for being one of them.
In our experience, many companies make two critical mistakes when undertaking disaster planning:
- They underestimate the impact of outages on their business. They believe they can tolerate outages, but when one happens, tolerance is replaced with panic and urgency.
- There is a considerable gap between expectations for recovery and the reality of what can be achieved with the IT systems and business processes they have in place.
VISITS can help mitigate and recover from disasters
We start by working with your management team to understand the risks to your business and your tolerance to outages (recovery time objectives) and data loss (recovery point objectives).
We approach this from the perspective of your business functions and tools, not your servers, because some business functions are more critical than others. We consider your entire business function, not forgetting other technologies such as telephony and systems in the cloud. And of course, not forgetting your staff.
To protect and recover your IT systems, we can deliver a range of products and services including:
- Backup to local and off-site storage, data centres and the cloud.
- Cold and hot redundant infrastructure.
- Proactive management and support of all backup and BC technologies.
- BC and DR plan preparation.
- DR process testing.
What if disaster has already struck?
VISITS' engineers have considerable experience recovering data and getting your business back up and running quickly.